Old Dixie's @ Welcome Diner

Good eating in the Valley of the Sun
Skillet Doux

7 years ago

The cat's been out of the bag for about a week, so I figure it's safe to post this now :-)

In case anybody missed it, Old Dixie's is going brick and mortar on Thursday (1/31) in the Welcome Diner. There was a little about them in the food trucks thread, and I'm of the opinion that this one's pretty exciting.

For the moment, they're going to be doing dinner Thursday through Saturday, and brunch Saturday and Sunday.

Whoever gets there first, report back :-)

Old Dixie's
www.facebook.com/OldDixies
Welcome Diner
924 E. Roosevelt Street
Phoenix, AZ 85006
602-614-2783
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
M_L

7 years ago

I am interested to see how it works as compared to what Payton and Eric did when they used the space.
Skillet Doux

7 years ago

Only took... three months to get over here? Should have done so sooner.

The diner itself is as it ever was, cozy and lively on the inside, lazy and serene at the picnic tables outside at 11:00 on a Thursday night. They're now open until midnight, which is very, very dangerous for me.
olddixiesredbeans.jpg
Red Beans & Rice
olddixiesredbeans.jpg (56.65 KiB) Viewed 5654 times
Gotta have a little side of red beans and rice, right? Slightly blended, slightly chunky, with some ham hock for the requisite porkiness. The simplest thing we tried, and mighty tasty.
olddixiesboudin.jpg
Boudin
olddixiesboudin.jpg (63.24 KiB) Viewed 5654 times
Boudin... rouge? The char on the outside makes it look darker than it is. It's more of a reddish-pink on the inside, so I'm not sure if there's any blood involved or not (other than that already in the pork, of course). It had an almost pasty consistency, and I loved the flavor. I'm not terribly well-versed when it comes to boudin, but I enjoyed this an awful lot.
olddixieschickensandwich.jpg
Fried Chicken Sandwich
olddixieschickensandwich.jpg (67.6 KiB) Viewed 5654 times
Of course I somehow managed to choose the one angle that obscures the massive chunk of fried chicken that is 85% of the sandwich. They have a few combinations of toppings on the chicken sandwich, but this one is kind of the works version, with cheddar, bacon, and country gravy. And it's serious, and huge, and heavy, and completely awesome with a little splash of Crystal. This is the throw-the-kitchen-sink-at-it style of cookery, but they do it really well. It's delicious, and I imagine would be more so after a few drinks.
olddixiesporksandwich.jpg
The Carol - Braised Pork Sandwich
olddixiesporksandwich.jpg (77.48 KiB) Viewed 5654 times
I love that they didn't call it BBQ pork. It's Kiltlifter-braised, with slaw and "Carolina mustard sauce," and again, it's just huge, over-the-top big flavor, but so, so good. Just messy and absurd and delicious.

I really like these guys. It's kind of over-the-top, but in an extremely good way. I think my next target is the peanut butter and bacon burger. Sounds just ridiculous enough to work.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
sourcetags8codes

7 years ago

I'll post pictures soon. Michael and Jen do some really incredible stuff out of a tiny space . (Full disclosure I'm good fiends with them) they have a great staff, and I love the motto of trying to unfuck food there.

I will say that one of the best burgers in az currently hands down. They are also open from 5pm till midnight Tuesday through Saturday. So if anyone wants late night, I'm down.
cactuschowdah

7 years ago

So how hard is this place to get into on a random Saturday night? Is there a place to grab a beer and chill out while you wait?
Skillet Doux

7 years ago

The entire place is a place to chill out and have a beer :-)

I haven't been yet during regular dinner hours and can't speak the crowd then, but the whole setup is pretty loose. There are only six or seven stools at the counter inside (it's really, really tiny), and then picnic tables and I think some random chairs outside (they serve food both inside and out). It's more like a trailer parked in somebody's front yard, if that makes any sense. The Streetview photo was taken when there wasn't a tenant and the front yard was empty, but it should give you an idea.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
transparent

7 years ago

sourcetags8codes wrote:I will say that one of the best burgers in az currently hands down.
Now I have something else to fret about not ordering when I'm there for a chicken sandwich. I'll have to get the burger next time.
cactuschowdah wrote:So how hard is this place to get into...
I've been there a couple of times for dinner, we ordered from the window outside and sat at a table, only took 15 minutes for the food to come out.
Skillet Doux

7 years ago

Welcome aboard, transparent! Glad to see you jump in :-)
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Skillet Doux

7 years ago

Oh, my, I'm rather enjoying this place as a late-night stop.
olddixiesbuffalo.jpg
The Buffalo
olddixiesbuffalo.jpg (70.32 KiB) Viewed 5304 times
Two visits back, The Buffalo. It's another of their fried chicken sandwiches, doused in buffalo sauce and covered with big chunks of bleu cheese. Fluffy biscuit, big thick slab of fresh tomato... exactly what it sounds like, and super good.
olddixiespbb.jpg
PB&B Burger
olddixiespbb.jpg (65.89 KiB) Viewed 5304 times
Last time out, the PB&B Burger... which is kind of obscene. I'm not a huge peanut butter fan. I dig it, and lots of things made with it, but I never think to myself, "Self, I'd really like some peanut butter right now!" So take that for what it's worth. Because the thing is basically a giant mouthful of peanut butter. Personally, I need something sweet and/or acidic to cut that a bit, and at first I found myself wishing they'd just totally committed and made it a PB&J burger. But then I got a couple of bites with the pickled, and that did it. So I think I'm requesting mine with extra pickles next time.

I hesitate to say this, because I fear there's a high probability of it being misinterpreted, but Old Dixie's is kind of like TGI Friday's minus the pure evil. It's that kind of big and messy, over-the-top, more is good and good is more philosophy, except actually done well with great ingredients, a sense of style, and the cooking skill to pull it off. I love these guys.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
M_L

7 years ago

That same night I had one of their hamburgers but sadly had to make some stupid requests due to the miserable diet I have been chained on for the next couple months. Despite all the ridiculous requests they handled it well and I still very much enjoyed what I had.

I have had one of the fried chicken biscuits before and those are pretty damn awesome and maybe even better leftover.
azhotdish

6 years ago

Looks like I'm going to be the lone dissenter, but I didn't enjoy the food here.

I ordered the honey-mustard chicken biscuit with pickles; my wife got the catfish special - catfish filet, greens, red beans and a biscuit. The biscuit was not terribly flaky, which was fine (if your actually supposed to eat this as a sandwich - it's probably done by design), however, it had wayyyyy too much mustard and honey - probably twice as much as was needed. The chicken itself, while perfectly acceptable, needed salt. Together as a dish, it played too sweet, and was kind of a mess. My wife's dinner, while better than mine, was just okay. The greens were deftly-done with a touch of a sweetness and good texture - I enjoyed these; similarly, the red beans were seasoned well and tasty. The catfish, on the other hand, was clunky - the cornmeal "crust" was more of a "shell" - it was so thick, it was actually hard to eat it with just a plastic fork; the flavor was also too "fishy", I thought, even for catfish. Again, the biscuit just wasn't what it should be for a place doing Southern food.

I do enjoy the setup of the place and like the menu they're cooking, but the execution wasn't there for me; I hope it was just an off-night this Saturday.
---
Joel
@azhotdish
Mike Z

6 years ago

Been looking forward to this place for a long time, and a friend and I rolled in tonight. A Saturday at 8pm, and it was just starting to fill up nicely. Bit of a line to order, but there were a couple empty table while we ate, and plenty of places to sit if you don’t mind sharing a table picnic style like we did

Most of what we had was awesome. I’d been having day dreams of the PB + B burger (no cheese), and it was everything I hoped for. Nice burger cooked a perfect medium rare. So glad they went with chunky PB, and loads of it
IMG_1625.JPG
Carolina BBQ fries
IMG_1625.JPG (57.59 KiB) Viewed 4875 times
We split the Welcome fries topped with Kiltlifter braised pulled pork and housemade Carolina BBQ sauce. Was exactly what you'd expect, nothing fancy, but really tasty
azhotdish wrote:I ordered the honey-mustard chicken biscuit with pickles . . . it had wayyyyy too much mustard and honey - probably twice as much as was needed
Hmm, my friend ordered this, and they must have toned it down. I tried it, and could barely taste the honey, and don't think I got any hit of mustard

The only miss was the Fried Avacado. Plain and flavorless, really just a vehicle for a nice dipping sauce. Now, if they did a fried chunky spicy onion heavy guacamole, they might have something

One side note . . . I thought it was cool that I could get a text copy of your receipt, and expected a detail in my text, but instead if forces you to sign up with Four Square . . . then when you do that Four Square FORCES you to set up Location Services and . . . I don't need that BS just to get my receipt.  Wish I'd of been told that when given the option. I assume it's the same if you choose email. I sent in an email to voice my frustration and ask for a normal receipt detail to be emailed to me without any hoops, hope that can be arranged
The Cosmic Jester

6 years ago

Mike Z wrote:One side note . . . I thought it was cool that I could get a text copy of your receipt, and expected a detail in my text, but instead if forces you to sign up with Four Square . . . then when you do that Four Square FORCES you to set up Location Services and . . . I don't need that BS just to get my receipt.  Wish I'd of been told that when given the option. I assume it's the same if you choose email. I sent in an email to voice my frustration and ask for a normal receipt detail to be emailed to me without any hoops, hope that can be arranged
I'm pretty sure that's Square (the point-of-sale system Welcome Diner uses), and not Foursquare (the location-based social networking service). As far as I know, what you wanted was the email option; since we use Square at work, I see the email one all the time and it's a full itemized receipt. However, I'm a bit of a fan of Square to the point that I signed up for a merchant account with them, so all of this could be automatic for me now.
Mike Z

6 years ago

Doh, you're right, Square. Never did hear back from the email them
Welcome Diner

6 years ago

Hi Mike,
Sorry we missed your request for a copy of your receipt. If you are still interested and remember what day and what you had, I can e-mail you a copy.

As for how square texts out receipts, I wasn't aware you had to sign up for any service to receive them. I'll have to do some research on getting your receipt through text messages. The email is a straight forward image of your itemized receipt.

Reach me at Welcomediner@marthaandmary.net

Thanks,
Matt
Welcome Diner
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

Hello, Matt, and welcome to the board!

Thanks for not being shy about jumping right in. I know some restaurant folks hesitate to post on a site like this, and I understand why they might feel that way. But you're entirely welcome anytime.

Keep up the great work over there :-)
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Mike Z

6 years ago

Spent the day wandering around in downtown, and had to hit up one last food hoorah for 2013. Was too early for the NYE specials (damn, was really curious about the Jowl Salad too), so went with a side of their Red Beans + Rice and the Big Jim . . .
IMG_2259.JPG
The Big Jim
IMG_2259.JPG (89.13 KiB) Viewed 4350 times

Both times I've had the chicken it's been amazing. Juicy and beautifully seasoned UNDER the breading? Great biscuit, killer bacon. Country gravy I can give or take, I find it almost always flavorless, and this was really no exception to that, but some Tobasco and my heavy-handed peppering helped. Walked away full and happy :)

Can't wait to bring out-of-towners here this March. If this place were in central Tempe where I live, I could happily have eaten through the entire menu by now :D
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

I have a tendency to forget that these guys are open late, and I really need to stop doing that.
olddixiespoutine.jpg
Poutine
olddixiespoutine.jpg (88.77 KiB) Viewed 4099 times
I know, I know, it's so overplayed and I don't care. It's really good. Melted cheese, country gravy, optional bacon add-on (supercrisp), a little splash of Crystal, and I'm a happy, happy man.
olddixiestomatosandwich.jpg
Fried Green Tomato Sandwich
olddixiestomatosandwich.jpg (91.53 KiB) Viewed 4099 times
Nice sandwich! Hot, thick-cut fried green tomatoes, a little hot sauce, house made relish, good toasty bread. Delicious.

This continues to be such a great place. No frills, no BS. Just good, aggressively hearty food.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Mike Z

6 years ago

I know they're a bit off the beaten path, but still I'm surprised this place hasn't gotten more love on the board
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

Heh... the fates led me back here last night. Catching up with an old friend who's staying downtown, and hanging out at a picnic table in front of the diner on a beautiful night sounded perfect.

I ended up with the Bumblebee -- big piece of fried chicken with a thick, crunchy, flavorful crust, honey and mustard, on a biscuit. Homey, delicious, big flavor.

Love having this place as a late night option.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic