Downtown?

The Valley of the Sun, and all that is tasty therein
ELP_me

Downtown?

Post by ELP_me »

Ok, I admit that I am completely clueless when it comes to go to places downtown. I know there are great places to check out but don’t know where to start. Any suggestions for places worth checking out before a concert or Suns game that would be walking distance from the arena?
Wilbur

Re: Downtown?

Post by Wilbur »

It depends upon your appetite for walking around, morning, noon or night.

Mrs. White's Golden Rule used to be really delightful, but our visits recently have just been OK. It is walkable.

The Arrogant Butcher is exactly what you expect from an American steak house, also walkable from the arena.

If you are willing to drive, there are a multitude of interesting spots north along the Central corridor that are open variously throughout the day and night - Fame Cafe, Fuego at the Clarendon, Breakfast Bitch, Basilic Vietnamese, The Nach, Blue Fin, Chick-A-Dee, Chula Seafood, Postino Central, and many more. A fair number are breakfast and lunch only, however, so perhaps not open prior to tip off.

The Phx Food Nerds map is a cool tool: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... 784674&z=8
exit2lef

Post by exit2lef »

A lot depends on your preferences in terms of taste and budget. If you're looking to splurge a little, I'd suggest Pa'la or Wren & Wolf.

If you want something a little more mid-range but still a distinctive full service meal, you can't go wrong with any of the three restaurants at Heritage Square: Pizzeria Bianco, Que Sazon, and Latha.

Among the hotel restaurants, Carcara at the Sheraton and Blue Hound at the Kimpton Palomar are my two current favorites.

There are so many places Downtown now that I'm probably forgetting several. If you can be more specific about your interests, maybe describing a few of your favorite restaurants elsewhere in the metro area, then I might be able to help more.
BillBuitenhuys

Post by BillBuitenhuys »

Our usual pre-concert routine is a cocktail or two with munchies at Little Rituals.
Nightbloom

Post by Nightbloom »

I agree with Bill, make a rez and go to Little Rituals. Their food menu recently changed, again, and I can't speak to it today, but OMFG they have the best drinks. I'm a martini fan and theirs, "The Crisp Martini" is my favorite martini in town! [note to self: start a thread of my favorite martinis in town]
Another great option is Pa'la Downtown. Ooh, and I heard that chef Bob Tam's Dragon Dumpling Burger is back on the menu at Bitter and Twisted. I haven't had it in years, but it used to be top of mind when discussing favorite burgers in town.
Lunchbox

Post by Lunchbox »

Nightbloom wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:13 pm Ooh, and I heard that chef Bob Tam's Dragon Dumpling Burger is back on the menu at Bitter and Twisted. I haven't had it in years, but it used to be top of mind when discussing favorite burgers in town.
OK so what's going on with B+T? We went a few months ago and the menu was all Jamaican Jerk Chicken (aka Breadfruit's menu) and our party wasn't feeling it so we left and went to Valentine... And maybe there should be a separate thread for all of this but is the menu back to 'normal'? That burger was outstanding...
exit2lef

Post by exit2lef »

Lunchbox wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:51 am
Nightbloom wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:13 pm Ooh, and I heard that chef Bob Tam's Dragon Dumpling Burger is back on the menu at Bitter and Twisted. I haven't had it in years, but it used to be top of mind when discussing favorite burgers in town.
OK so what's going on with B+T? We went a few months ago and the menu was all Jamaican Jerk Chicken (aka Breadfruit's menu) and our party wasn't feeling it so we left and went to Valentine... And maybe there should be a separate thread for all of this but is the menu back to 'normal'? That burger was outstanding...
The Breadfruit arrangement was the final installment in a sequence of pop-ups as the establishment re-emerged from its COVID closure. B&T is now running its own kitchen again:

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/restaur ... u-17028898
Nightbloom

Post by Nightbloom »

Lunchbox wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:51 am
Yes. The Breadfruit menu, and Dwayne Allen's time with B&T has ended. TBH, I don't think the Jamaican doshes were consistently well executed, so I'm glad they changed the menu.