Bad Jimmy's Burgers

The Valley of the Sun, and all that is tasty therein
Wilbur

Bad Jimmy's Burgers

Post by Wilbur »

We stopped at the physical location of Bad Jimmy's today for lunch. The building is a nice use of an original building, right down in amongst many, many other eateries and bars at 108 E Pierce St, Phoenix, AZ 85004. The right half is a small counter-service burger joint, the left is a small bar, each with a separate entrance door, but connected inside.

We had the $7 Lil Jim burger and the $12 Classic Double, both served as thin, crunchy-edged burgers in a potato bun along with some waffle fries. It was fine, service was quick, everything was clean.
B 02.jpg
B 02.jpg (341.04 KiB) Viewed 102 times
B 03.jpg
B 03.jpg (246.7 KiB) Viewed 102 times
B 04.jpg
B 04.jpg (244.1 KiB) Viewed 102 times
exit2lef

Re: Bad Jimmy's Burgers

Post by exit2lef »

Both of the regular burgers, the classic double and the double burger, are great. Their names make them hard to distinguish, but they differ in the way they handle onions (raw vs. caramelized) and the condiments. A menacing sign at the counter says "no modifications," but I've seen poeple get past that if their requests are polite and reasonable. When Bad Jimmy's has a special that sounds even halfway appealing, go for it. This green chili burger was loaded with toppings of bacon, Oaxacan cheese, lime mayonnaise, and, obviously, green chilies. In true smash burger fashion, all the ingredients fused with the beef patties inside the bun, which was turned inside-out for extra effect.
IMG_1705.JPG
IMG_1705.JPG (377.41 KiB) Viewed 83 times
The waffles fries at Bad Jimmy's are an excellent side. I'd rank them right up there with those found at AZ88 and Chick-fil-A, which are two of the best waffle fryers in my experience. If I don't feel like fries on any given visit, though, the slab salad is an excellent alternative. It's smothered with so much not-so-secret-sauce that it probably has more calories and fat than the fries, so don't be fooled that it's light eating. Nevertheless, it's a different sensation that I think I'll find more refreshing as the summer heat approaches. The chives really make it stand out, and that's just one example of how Bad Jimmy's goes beyond the smash burger stereotype by using fresh ingredients.
IMG_2277.JPG
IMG_2277.JPG (410.65 KiB) Viewed 82 times